Friday, May 13, 2011

Here we go!

Ready? Set? PALEO!

2 days ago, Monday, I started a new eating regimen. I've decided to call it my new "eating plan" versus my new "diet". I want to stay motivated to keep it fun and light, not a chore.. Make sense? This TTC blog (which it hasn't been for a few months anyway) is going to go on the  back burner for a while and become something that will follow me on a separate journey for a while. Still a part of the same goal, but changing direction for a little while.

Like I've mentioned in many posts before, the main cause of our infertility problems is because of my PCOS and insulin resistance. Which, let's be honest, translates in part to being overweight. I've known this in the back of my mind for a long time, and I knew I had to make a change. What have I been waiting for? I'm not sure. I've started, then stopped. Had success, then failure. Been desperate to make our dreams of starting our family come true, just to get discouraged, disappointed, and fall back into darkness. Not only am I ready to try to commit to this 100%, but I think I am ready to admit that for the last 6 months or so, I have been a little depressed. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday with a new doctor to discuss all these things, and I'm happy about it.

Anyhow! Back to Paleo! I did some research about a diet that a friend I met through TTC told me about. She did it for a while and had really awesome success that brought her the most beautiful gift, her beautiful son Jackson. Paleo, Caveman, PCOS diet, whatever you want to call it, I read up on it and I really liked what I was learning. If you severely break it down, it looks like this:




NOT ALLOWED
Carbs (grains, flours, pasta, potatoes ect...)
Sugars
Dairy
Processed foods

ALLOWED
Lean protein (meats and seafood, eggs)
Vegetables (especially dark green veggies)
Fruits
Raw nuts


Basically, that's what the concept is, and if you're looking at it from the outside, I'm sure it looks really difficult and severe, but so far, I haven't missed anything! I've had temptations, yes, but so far I've been able to resist! And the best part about the plan, is it's not restrictive. The book I'm reading says, hey! If you want carbs, eat carbs. Don't limit yourself (obviously, to a certain extent) so you don't feel cheated. Strive at first for making 5 meals or snacks a week "cheating" if you want them, and gradually, limit that number so that you are eating almost 100% paleo. It's a great book that explains the eating plan in detail and helps with tricks and tips. Additionally, it's a great recipe book! It's filled with lots of easy, accessible recipes that I want to eat! I highly recommend it if you're interested in learning more!


So there it is! I've decided to blog about this to help me stay motivated and excited to post about my ups and downs and my rediscovering how to eat to help fix my problems. I will try to take a picture of what I make to eat each day, and post about it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to cook all my meals at home right now so it's easy to stick to it, as long as I stay on top of the grocery shopping! So here's to a new adventure! Cheers!


DAY 1
Breakfast: Fresh pineapple chunks and strawberries (forgot to take a pic!)

Lunch: Grilled marinated portobello mushroom (marinated in evoo, garlic and oregano) and grilled asparagus.

Snack: Raw nuts
That night, I was very sick and fell asleep and didn't wake up!! So no dinner to show.

DAY 2
Breakfast: Egg white, mushroom and spinach scramble, with pineapple on the side.

Lunch: At lunch, I was still feeling sick, so I just had some raw nuts and a fresh pear.

Dinner: Charbroiled Carne Asada with a side of asparagus and a sauce made from fresh tomatoes and onions.

Snack: Fresh pear



DAY 3
Breakfast: Fresh strawberries.




Lunch: Spinach salad with carrots, tomatoes, red onion, lime and garlic marinated grilled shrimp, and a lemon-lime-evoo dressing.



Snack: Fresh apple

Dinner: Side spinach salad with lemon-lime dressing and a slice of turkey meatloaf.


0 comments: