Friday, July 2, 2010

Moving on...

So I had the talk with my doctor this morning. I actually tried to jump the gun and call her yesterday, but she wasn't in.. That's what I get for being impatient, lol.

We've both come to the conclusion that Ovulation is just not going to occur this cycle. She seemed a little surprised when I told her about the 14 negative OPKs I've taken over the last few weeks, but quickly came up with a plan of action for me. We are going to wait until July 10th to see if AF shows on her own.. If she does not, I will have the Provera in hand and ready to take on July 11th.. I'm really hoping AF shows on her own though, because that would shave off almost 13 days from next cycle.. That'd be great! But considering she was absent for so long before, I'm not holding out much hope.

When my next cycle starts, I'll be doing something called "The Clomid Challenge". It's a test where I have blood drawn on CD3 and CD10 and taking Clomid 100mgs CD 5-9. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it measures the FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) in my blood and based on the results, they will know if my ovarian reserve (the number/quality of my eggs) is good.. Or not good. Either way, it will rule some things out.

If I pass the challenge, it means I will O next cycle! THAT I am excited about. They will be able to tell me with certainty that I will ovulate if the hormones are in the right range. If I fail the cycle, I have no idea what we'll do after that. She did mention briefly that if it comes down to it, she'd like to send me to Oregon Reproductive Medicine. She says they have really high success rates and some of the lowest infertility treatments prices in the country! So that was positive, but hopefully it won't come down to that.

Overall, I am happy with this "next step". I like her no-messing-around attitude. We're not going to waste time trying the same dosage for another cycle, we're just going to get answers, NOW. I feel very fortunate that she is proceeding quickly. I know it's not so for everyone going through this. :hug: At the same time, I am a little nervous about the outcome of this challenge. But I think there is going to be a certain level of nerves involved no matter which step of the journey we're on. I just need to get used to it!

I contacted our insurance this morning too, to try to figure out if the blood work for the clomid challenge will be covered (she couldn't give me a concrete answer, but most likely no. grr) and had her list our "reproductive treatment" coverage again. If it comes down to it, we have a $10,000 lifetime maximum to use toward IUI and injectables! That I feel super lucky to have. Hopefully we won't ever need it, but it gives me peace of mind that a pregnancy is not out of reach if money becomes an object.

But.. I will listen to Jordin Sparks :) One Step At a Time. For now, I'm just not looking forward to getting poked in the arm 2 more times. eeek. Come on, BIG O!

0 comments: