Saturday, October 16, 2010

Game Over.

I started my period yesterday.

I was sad for about 5 minutes, but then I started thinking. I have no time to be sad. I can't sit here and dwell on something I cannot change. I have so many positive things to take away from this cycle, being sad would almost be cheating myself! I'm happy! I OVULATED! I actually produced an egg!! And I started my period ALL by myself, in a very timely manner! This is very good! Maybe my system is being jolted back into doing what it's supposed to!

I start taking Clomid again tomorrow. I can't believe it! Usually I have to wait so long in between cycles because I have to take Provera to start my period. It usually ends up being an extra 2 weeks of waiting! Now we get to try again (hopefully!!) in about 20 days!! I can't wait to see if Clomid on this dosage makes me ovulate again.

My doctor has decided to put me on another medication this time around. It's called Metformin. It is typically a drug that type 2 diabetics take. Upon further reviewing my original test results, Dr. Sikes decided that my blood glucose was on the high range of normal and that maybe (because of other symptoms I've been having) I was insulin resistant. In short, being insulin resistant screws up your hormones, produces too much testosterone, which makes it hard to ovulate. Here is an excerpt from a website that can describe it much better than I can:
Insulin is the hormone that delivers glucose into your cells to be burned as fuel, or stored as fat. Women with infertility frequently have "insulin resistance", a condition where excessive amounts of insulin are required in order to get blood glucose moved into energy cells, where it belongs. Metformin helps your body to transport glucose with relatively less insulin, thus lowering your insulin levels. Chronically high levels of either glucose or insulin in your blood contributes to obesity, heart disease, infertility, and certain cancers, as well as the development of diabetes.

So hopefully, combined with Clomid, this will help me have a successful cycle! The only downside is that the side effects are really nasty. My doctor has warned me that I'll be feeling bad for about a month.. Nausea, upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea.. yuck. Ah well! If it helps, I'll try it.

So here we are! Starting anew! I can't wait to see what it brings!

0 comments: